Friday, May 15, 2009

Coping With Stress

One of the things I love about working at a public radio station is working on feature stories. Being given up to four-and-a-half minutes of air time for a story is wonderful. It reminds me a bit of my first job at the City News Service. Since it was a wire service, we basically got to use as much space as we wanted for a story. So long as we hit the most important parts of the story early on, we could go into as much detail as we felt was needed.

When I started at WBBM a couple years ago, it was a big shift trying to sum up important news into 30-second spots for the anchors. Public radio gives me a bit more time to work with on spot news, but even with a minute, I find myself wishing I could go into more detail. So working on pieces like this week's feature is a joy. Working in the perspectives of four different people to tell the story is so fulfilling.

It's not often that a random press release from a politician turns into a fulfilling story like this one. But a release we got about a bill in Congress that would provide grants to colleges and universities for mental health programs turned out to be a better story than you'd think at first glance. But after talking with my bureau chief, Sean Crawford, about the issue a bit, it blossomed into a great story about how counseling programs at universities have changed in the past few years and how students are getting involved in outreach. Even with this piece, I know there are so many other angles I could expand on, but I'm really proud of this one.

1 comment:

  1. Hey... Your idea of stress reduction is different and interesting to me. Stress is there in every profession and your idea is really good to follow. Please have look at my ideas and plans of stress relieving.

    ReplyDelete