Thursday, May 28, 2009

Sweet Home Chicago

Today is the kind of day that I really miss being back at the City News Service covering City Hall. I just don't hear the same scuttlebut anymore about what's going down at City Hall, who the feds are investigating, who's going to be the latest elected official facing corruption charges. Granted, it's probably been less than an hour that I've known the feds were preparing to indict someone, apparently an elected official, but I just could not wait until 2 p.m. to find out who. If I were still at City Hall, I probably would have known who the new target is within minutes, if not before the feds made it known new corruption charges were coming. The Sun-Times says it's Ald. Isaac "Ike" Carothers, a powerful alderman at City Hall. That would have made my day when I was covering City Hall; not that I have anything against Ike or want to see any elected official indicted for corruption. But working on a story like this always gets my juices flowing. I was hoping the case would have some direct ties to Springfield to give me more to work on today, even though I'm sure my afternoon will be really busy covering proposed ethics measures. I hope I have a bit of a break around 2 p.m. to watch the news conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment